Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's Wednesday?

Are you sure?
Something definitely seemed off when I woke up to muted light coming through the curtain. Usually summer morning light in Los Angeles is enough to burn your cornea through a wall.

The cold muggy morning made me more sluggish than normal, so I had to perk up with a shot of espresso and a piece of sourdough toast with Earth Balance. I was too brain-hazy to take a picture though!

That being said, I did manage to tuck my camera into the car before heading off to work. I've decided to attempt to bring my camera everywhere. Whenever I don't, I always end up finding something cool I wish I could share and then I'm SOL.

On the way I snapped a few pictures (at red lights, don't worry!) of the weather.

Very strange. But, in typical LA fashion, everything burned off by noon and the day ended up being 84 degrees and very sunny.

For lunch I packed a spinach and arugula salad with mushrooms and sprouts. I've been needing more protein/fat in my lunches to keep me full throughout the afternoon, so I added some roasted walnuts as well.


Anybody else LOVE alfalfa sprouts? Their shape used to weird me out, but now I think of them as tiny nutritional ribbons. (That sounded cuter in my head.)

I actually roasted walnuts myself!

I've found nuts hard to digest all my life, though roasted ones are much easier on my tummy. Next time I think I'll try roasting them with some herbs/spices to make them even more delectable.

Mid-afternoon I devoured a nectarine that was so ripe and mushy every picture I took of it looked like a slasher movie victim.

After work I decided to try doing yoga outside on the porch. We only have carpet in the house and it's impossible to get a grip on.

The concrete was hard, but supportive through the mat. When Evan got home, I decided to whip up an easy bake-able dinner.

Enter in... quiche!

Broccoli Cheddar Quiche (crustless)
- half an onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 large head of broccoli, or 1 small
- 1 tbsp margerine (or butter)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup soymilk (or almond, cow, hemp, rice, etc)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (I used a blend with Jack as well)
- nutmeg
- nonstick cooking spray

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Chop onion and mince garlic.
3) Trim stems of broccoli and chop to small florets.
3) Sweat the onion in the margerine till fragrant.
4) Add garlic and broccoli, cook for 2-3 minutes.
5) In a separate bowl, gently beat the eggs.
6) Add the yogurt and soymilk to eggs, whisk to combine. Season with s & p.
7) Fold the shredded cheese into the egg mixture.
8) Spray an 8 or 9 inch pie pan. Spread broccoli/onion/garlic evenly on the bottom.
9) Gently pour the wet mixture over, spreading as needed to create an even layer.
10) Grate fresh nutmeg (or sprinkle on pre-ground) over the top. Just a dash!
11) Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes until center is set. Cool for 5 minutes.

"Crust? We don't need no stinking crust!"

I saved a few calories using less cheese and eggs, and subbing in greek yogurt. Nix the crust and the fat practically gets cut in half!

We paired it with some steamed kale coated in a bit of sesame oil and lemon juice. Tasty combo and I love seeing all that green on my plate.

I've been a bit off this week... mentally, emotionally... so I am going to try and get a good amount of sleep tonight. When I wake up maybe it really will be Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...